Thursday, January 21, 2010

TIRAMISU FOR BREAKFAST EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE

I feel like I should rename this blog "Tiramisus I Have Known." Because that's quickly what this blog is going to become if the Bolognese don't stop throwing tiramisu at me. I'm not complaining, mind you.

As some of you may know, my favoritest dessert in the history of evar is tiramisu. One of my main goals for this semester is to go on a pilgrimage to Le Beccherie in Treviso, the birthplace of tiramisu. It will be the happiest day of my life, except for my wedding to Rahmbo. (IT WILL HAPPEN. You'll see. I'll seduce him with my tiramisu.)

A quick rundown on tiramisu. Basically you mix egg yolk, mascarpone and sugar. Then you take some eggwhites and mix it in to make the filling fluffy. You take savoiardi/ ladyfingers and dip them in a liquid of your choice, usually coffee or a liquor. You put the ladyfingers in a pan with high sides, put a layer of the custard on top, rinse and repeat until you fill the pan or run out. Then you refrigerate the delicious creature overnight. Once it's ready, you eat it and orgasm because tiramisu is the best dessert ever. (For what it's worth, I dip my ladyfingers in a mixture of coffee and kahlua.)

My first Italian tiramisu was last Wednesday. It was my housemate Giorgia's birthday and she made a tiramisu for dessert. Her tiramisu was delicious. The bottom layer of ladyfingers were soaked in coffee, the top in rum. The filling was fairly solid and thick, like cream cheese. She told me that I should have the leftovers for breakfast. Best breakfast ever.

Tonight, we had a cooking lesson with a professional chef! We made traditional biscotti with her (almonds, orange juice, and lemon rind), and she had already prepared a boatload of polenta. She also gave us something to try that she found at the bottom of her polenta bag. I have no idea what it was, but it looks like those long, brown seed pods you find in New York City parks in the fall. Anyway, this thing tasted like Parmesan cheese and figs at the same time. A miraculous product of nature. She had also prepared for us 1) Bolognese sauce 2) beef, peas, and tomato sauce stew 3) sauteed artichoke, mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, and potatoes and 4) a magical cheese that one traditionally mixes with polenta. It might actually be more orgasmic than tiramisu. I'll find out the name of this thing and I will blog about it forever. Stay tuned.

And for dessert? Oh, dessert. We had our biscotti, of course. And tiramisu. Loads of tiramisu. Mountains of tiramisu. Two bowls bigger than my head of tiramisu. Like some more traditional tiramisu recipes, the filling was a little runny. Our chef had dipped the savoiardi in brandy and sprinkled chocolate shavings on top. But here is where her brilliance lay: in between the savoiardi and the filling lay a layer of chocolate gelato. Chocolate gelato. Brilliant. Someone give this woman a Nobel Peace Prize. There were plenty of leftovers, so guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow? Yessssss.

No comments:

Post a Comment