Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Some notes

NICKNAMES

Nicknames are a funny thing. Ceci seems more like my name than Cecilia does. And I find that it's really strange to introduce yourself to strangers. I don't really think of myself as having a name (if that makes sense?) so when I introduce myself it's always a bit of a surprise: I think of myself in one way but others see only a person named Ceci. (To quote Jersey Shore, "Woah, that was kind of deep.") Anyway, since coming here, I've mostly introduced myself as Ceci (Che-chi). One intrepid member of the Ecco group, Alessandra, has shorted it to Cec (Chech), and that's what everyone calls me now. It's a nick name to the fourth power! And now my professor has taken to calling me La Ceci, which is how you refer to famous people and divas. Hum.

RACIST AD STILL RACIST

So remember that charming Fiat commercial I saw? Well, I'd only seen it from a distance. Up close it's more offensive. Lazy black guys doing silly minstrel-y things, suddenly decide to head to the car, and there are their pregnant blonde wives waiting to take a drive with them! And then they merrily bop along in their ugly new Fiat, which fits six people, nine if you're counting the babies. Ahahahaha so funny. Anyway, I was trying to explain to an Italian friend why this ad was so racist and he just stared at me and said, "What? But that's the Jamaican soccer team! How is that racist?" That just makes it even worse. PEOPLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment