Monday, March 7, 2011

House of Drecoll

It's always fun "rediscovering" obscure fashion houses from the first half of the century. (But maybe that's just me.) Anyway, at the Brooklyn Museum's American High Style exhibit last summer, I fell in love with this dress from the House of Drecoll:


According to the Met's website, Drecoll was founded in 1896, eventually becoming one of Paris's showier houses. I have to confess, the dress doesn't look that great in person--it was probably expertly steamed and styled for this photo! After awhile, this popped into my head:




I just love how well the body came out--she's partly based on the Birth of Venus, which, since it's the subject of my thesis, hangs on the wall next to my desk. I don't really know where the colors came from. Perhaps I was inspired by this stunning Lanvin?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment